Sunday, February 12, 2012

Baby Shower Cupcakes (Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Recipe)

After baking for 8-9 hours a day everyday for 3 whole weeks last Christmas, I decided to take a small break from taking on projects. But then my sister presents a project to me: baby shower cupcakes! On the spot, I lifted my "project break". I mean, who could resist making ducks, onesies, and baby carriages out of fondant??


I started making fondant discs as cupcake toppers/cookie decorations last holiday season. They're a bit tedious (think 6-8 hours for 15-20 toppers) to make but the good news is they can keep up to 2 months so you can go ahead and make them well beforehand. I've been doing a lot of ladybugs, cherries, robots, and whatnot, and so baby carriages and ducks were a welcomed change.

I was so excited for this project that my boyfriend noticed. He got me toy car cupcake liners!

But sadly, you won't see them in the final product because the batter was a) dark brown and b) too thin. I think decorated paper liners only work for thick batters. On another note, I finally figured out the tricks to getting flat topped cupcakes! Fill the liners less than 2/3 (But more than 1/2) full, and make sure the oven isn't too hot. I bake mine only at 275F-300F, rather than 350F.

I used vanilla buttercream frosting in blue and white to finish off the cupcakes. I hope Joaquin comes out healthy and happy! His parents are surely excited to welcome him soon.

---
VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING (adapted from here)
Can frost 34 cupcakes

Ingredients
413g Butter, room temperature
520g Powdered sugar
6g Vanilla extract
5g Milk/Cream

Procedure
1. Using an electric mixer, mix together (on low) butter and powdered sugar until blended. Increase speed to medium and mix for 2-3 minutes more. ---This ensures the sugar dissolves and prevents the icing from being gritty.

2. Pour in vanilla extract and milk. Continue mixing for a minute or so.

3. If you're going to add color, do so now. Gel colors are recommended but liquid and powder are also ok. If icing is too runny, add powdered sugar; if too stiff, add milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment