Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Strawberry-Kiwi Brown Sugar Pavlova


"If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." - Wayne Dyer

Funny how our taste and preferences for food change over time, isn't it? When I was a kid, I wouldn't eat a lot of things, potatoes were actually the only vegetable I'd eat. But in the recent years, I've found myself enjoying all sorts of food I would probably have considered a pain to eat when I was younger: broccoli, tofu, squash, cherries, and kiwi, among other things. Oh, and Thai food's probably the biggest revelation to me!


Lately, I've found my preferences for desserts changing, too. I used to only like really decadent, rich, indulgent desserts, anything with chocolate! But now, I find myself liking lighter, fruit-based desserts just as much.

I guess the key to developing broader and better taste for food is being open to trying things that are new and unfamiliar to you. And maybe, this applies to life in general, too.

---
BROWN SUGAR PAVLOVA
Yields 12 (4-inch diameter) shells

Ingredients
  • 120g (3 pcs) eggwhites
  • 170g brown sugar
  • 0.5g cream of tartar
  • 30g cornstarch
  • 55g white sugar
Procedure
  1. Preheat oven to 250F.
  2. Whisk the eggwhites, brown sugar, and cream of tartar into a stiff peak.
  3. Mix together the cornstarch and white sugar in a separate bowl.
  4. Fold the cornstarch and white sugar mixture into the whisked eggwhites.
  5. Drop spoonfuls on a baking sheet, make sure they're about an inch apart from each other.
  6. Bake for 1 hour, turn the oven off, and leave inside for another hour.
  7. Top with whipped cream and fruits, strawberries and kiwi really taste good!
  8. If storing, store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment